Thursday, February 9, 2012

Money, money, money.

This morning we found a parcel containing all our post from the past couple of months. Before we left the UK, we changed our registered address to that of my Mother's house, to ensure our post could be forwarded on to us once we arrived in Australia.

Within the package were two rather shocking and frustrating threads. Along with my final payslip were a series of letters from the RUH's finance department, stating they had accidently over paid me and required me to return the excess. This would have been fine, but they sent 4 further 'overdue payment' reminders since the first, the final one threatening a court summons! Now talk about impatient, they could have always tried e-mailing me, or phoning me! What makes this whole situation worse is their claim that the over payment occured because they weren't given sufficient notice of my leaving date. Now I handed my letter of resignation in 4 months prior to my leaving date, a whole extra months notice than required by my contract, so if that is not enough notice I don't know what is.

The second piece of frustrating news was a letter from the student loans company. Following the advice of someone in their call centre, I sent them notification that I would be travelling for a few months, and thus living off savings. But they sent the form back requesting proof of my finances. Unfortunatly they sent the letter after I had already left the UK. Now the letter goes on to say that if I don't reply within 28 days they will fine me £150, seeing as I didn't get the letter until 3 months after it being sent, there was very little I could do. Isn't it great being penalised for trying to do the right thing. Still I am tempted now to try and pay off the remaining balance with my savings, rather than going through the hassel of working out how much to repay each month.

Now let's hope there are no more nasty suprises waiting.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment