Saturday, May 12, 2012

What did you do this weekend?

It is a common enough question, and I always find the answer is.... well... nothing.  But that is not strictly true, it is just by Monday morning I forget all the little things which filled up the time since we last met.  Today is a perfect example of a day that was full of activity, yet at the same time almost too trivial to mention.  I had today off work, now normally B would get me to work at Narai Thai with him, as my 4 days a week at the pharmacy does not earn him enough to keep him in airfares, and until I get my full registration I cannot find something more pharmacy related to make up the hours.  Tomorrow is Mothers day in Australia, and the restaurant is fully booked, lunch and dinner, and so I negotiated with B that I would work Sunday provided I could have Saturday off in return.  So what did I do with my day off? 

The day started like most days, after breakfast we headed to Northcote plaza, B's second home, on the way B wanted to show me some bedside tables he had seen in the second hand shop, but it was closed and so we continued to the plaza where B was able to collect his prize from Thursdays lotto and spend the winnings on tickets for tonight.  We had a short walk in the park where we took some photos and stopped at the pet shop where B reaffirmed his desire to have a whole menagerie of animals.  On the way back home we noticed the second hand shop had re-opened so we went in, but to B's disappointment the two bedside tables had both sold.

We continued home and managed to gatecrash an auction for a house on our street, it sold for a staggering $925,000.  I hate the idea of buying a house by auction, it seems to be a risky way to buy, with pressure to spend more than you would normally be willing to by both the auctioneer and other bidders.  I suppose it is not really much different to buying by a private sale, it is just quicker and more public, making the whole thing quite a vulgar spectacle.  Unfortunately it seems most houses in Australia are sold by auction, so when we eventually are ready to consider buying it might prove to be a necessary evil.

A big difference in day to day Australian life is their hard rubbish, large items just left on the verge to be collected, although as often as not by the neighbours rather than the bin men.  B can't help himself, and will take anything left out, todays aquisition was a small shelving unit which is now located in our spare bedroom.  This more than made up for missing out on the bedside tables, it was free after all.

After lunch we watched a bit of the San Reno music festival until B had to go to work.  After he left I spent a bit of time on the playstation waiting for it to get dark, I then headed back out to get some night time photos of Melbourne using the SLR and a tripod.  It was quite a succesful trip but I am glad I finished when I did, as I began to feel the first few drops of rain as I headed home again.  Which is where I am now, watching a French film on SBS and contemplating whether I should have a glass of wine or stick to a soft drink.

So when asked, what did I do this weekend? Now you know, and you probably wish you had never asked.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment