Sunday, September 26, 2010

Look at moiye, look at moiye....

A friend has just posted a clip of Gina Riley on facebook singing Shirley Bassey, hilarious.  Gina Riley is probably best known in the UK for her title role in Kath and Kim, quite easily the greatest Australian TV show ever made!

I first discovered the comedic genius of Kath and Kim in 2004.  Back then the inflight entertainment system on QANTAS flights hadn't quite developed into the full video on demand system they have today.  All the films were played on continuous loops, and so to ensure all the films started at the same time the shorter films would be padded out with the odd episode of some 'relevent' programme.  Now I can't remember what film I watched, but that episode of Kath and Kim will stay with me forever.  It was the season finale of the second series, when Kim had her baby, and her real father showed up at the hospital.

Now, for some people, if this was their first introduction to the Australian people they might have turned around and got straight back on the next plane home, but I'm so glad I stuck it out.  Let's just hope we can afford to live in an area where our neighbours are NOT the real life Kath and Kim.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment