When I said everything seemed to be happening at once now my application form has been submitted I wasn't kidding. Today in the post I received the decision from the Australian Pharmacy Council as to which stream I would qualify for.
I have written in previous posts about the APC process, and how there are two different streams candidates wishing to register as a pharmacist can go down, stream A and stream B. Stream A is a long winded process intended for most candidates, it involves sitting more exams and completing a whole years internship as well as additional requirements for English language exams. Stream B, by and large is a much simpler process, there is one multiple choice question exam at the start, much like the pre-registration exam in the UK if the sample questions I have found are anything to go by. This exam (known as CAOP) is held 4 times a year in London, and is also open book. Candidates get 2 attempts to pass this exam before they get dropped into the stream A process. Once I have passed this exam I will then be eligible to apply for temporary registration to allow me to undergo 152 hours of supervised practice. It is the supervised practice I am more worried about than the exam, and I hope I can find somewhere to do this before we arrive in Australia. After 75% of the supervised practice has been completed I will then need to sit an oral legislation exam. Due to the differences regarding prescription types and the way they are paid for, it would be better to get a community pharmacy placement, so that I can actually learn from practical experience.
The CAOP exam will be held in March, June, September and December. The March exam is a little bit too short notice for me to be able to revise for. I wouldn't have been able to get the time off work anyway. So my current plan is to try and get on the July intake, that way if I did happen to fail, I would still have time to resit in September before we leave. Although I do sincerely hope a resit wont be necessary.
Adam
No comments:
Post a Comment