Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Count Down to Emigration...267 days.

I can't believe it is March already,  this means we have approximately 8 months to go in which to finish organising our epic move.  I say epic, but then for B this type of move must be second nature, this will be the 3rd time he has moved from one country to another.  For me however it is the biggest life changing event I have ever undertaken.  Every now and again I am hit with a sudden sadness, as I realise how much of everything here in the UK I will miss, from the Georgian streets of Bath, to the very stars above my head.  I am sure once we are settled in our day to day life will not be too different to our current existence, we will still need to work, still need to eat and still need to sleep.  I suppose the biggest change, after the weather, will be the increased distances needed to go...well, to go anywhere.  Australia is such a vast country, even moving from one state capital to another could take days if you didn't fly.  In fact I read somewhere that Perth is the most isolated major city in the world.

This year is going to be full of "Last Chances", we have already had our last Christmas in the UK, and our last New Year.  B is taking his last opportunity to run the Bath half marathon, which is happening this Sunday.  I am very impressed with how well B has prepared for this, and I think he may have already done several half marathon runs whilst out training, so the real thing should be a breeze.  The weather has taken a turn for the worse at present, so we are seriously hoping for an improvement by Sunday, still as long as it is not raining he should be fine.

I think the biggest fear I have with the whole move is what we do when we arrive in Australia.  I am normally a very organised person, and I like to have everything planned out before I do it.  At the moment we still haven't even finalised where in Australia we want to live, although Melbourne is looking more and more likely.  As well as finding somewhere to live we will also both need to find jobs, and as we are planning a month and a half of travelling on route, we will have to find them fast, as I can't see our money lasting long otherwise.  Without a fixed income it will be hard to get a place to rent, but without a fixed address it will be hard to get a job, it currently seems like an impossible situation to get round.  I am sure once we are there things will fall into place, but the uncertainty is always niggling in the back of my mind.

February turned out to be a very busy month with a lot of progress being made both in my visa application, and the transfer of my qualification, things now are due to slow down again, with my health check not due until April and my CAOP exam in June, there is not much more we can do.  B is still busy packing at every available opportunity, but even this will have to stop soon or we will have nothing left to use while we are here.  My main activity now will be revising for my exam.

Despite the many uncertainties, and maybe even because of them, I am more excited than ever about our planned migration.  We have been living in Bath for 10 years now, and it is nearly time for a new chapter in our lives to begin.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment