Sunday, June 5, 2011

B's British Citizenship.

The letter that arrived last Thursday confirmed that B's application for British citizenship had been accepted.  In order for him to become a British citizen he has to attend a British citizenship ceremony. 

The letter said that B would have to contact the citizenship ceremonies officer in Bath to arrange for the ceremony, but when he went in on Friday they told him to ignore the letter as they would organise it all.  The letter also says he can have a private ceremony or a group ceremony, either way he is only allowed to invite a maximum of 2 guests.

At the ceremony B will have to pledge his allegiance to the queen either as an oath or an affirmation.  The main difference between the two versions being the involvement of God.

The Oath:
I, (name), swear by almighty God that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to her majesty queen Elizabeth the second, her heirs and successors, according to law.
The Affirmation:
I, (name), do solemnly, and sincerely affirm that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear a true allegiance to her majesty  queen Elizabeth the second, her heirs and successors, according to law.
Needless to say I think he will pick the affirmation.  As well as the oath/affirmation there is also a pledge.
I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms.  I will uphold its democratic values.  I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment