I have had the best news today since this whole process began. I have been successful in my visa application, and now can live and work in Australia! (Which is very lucky, as we have already booked our flights).
My visa is a subclass 100, which allows me permanent residency in Australia. This came as a bit of a shock as I was expecting to receive subclass 309 (temporary) first, and not receive the permanent visa until 2 years later. It seems that because B and I have been together for over 5 years it has made me eligible for permanent residency straight away.
The 'perminant' residency visa is still however only valid for 5 years, during which time I can come and go from Australia as much as I like. If after 5 years I leave the country I will have to apply for a resident return visa, much like B would have had to do with his previous visa before his British citizenship was granted.
After 4 years in Australia I should be able to apply for Australian citizenship, as long as I haven't been outside of Australia for more than 12 months. After a look on the Australian immigration website it looks like there might be a slight waver on some of these requirements.
Adam
No comments:
Post a Comment